Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Boot Camp!

What was the most important thing you learned in Boot Camp? Explain why.

Besides all the definitions, summaries and the three controversial pro/con paragraphs, the most important thing I learned from Boot Camp was that essays are not just pieces that are slapped together to make an essay. A really good, cohesive essay focuses around the argument and support of the writer's purpose. Yes, there are grammatical rules that we were taught to abide by, but there are always exceptions to the rule. I realized that these rules of "good writing" can be broken if their is a purpose for doing it. There are no boundaries when it comes to writing and expressing ourselves. We can take leaps and bounds with our creativity as long as we understand that it may not sit well with all our readers. I also learned that a good essay not only includes supporting information, but also the opinions of the "naysayers." What the "naysayer" has to say is relevant and the way I approach it in an essay, if done right, can really boost my side of the argument. All in all, I learned that the five paragraph essay (what I learned as the "hamburger style" essay) is out the window. There is no common structure to a solid piece of writing and hopefully with this new mindset, I will be better prepared for the following 13 weeks or so.

6 comments:

  1. One of my English teachers said the introduction and conclusion were the "buns" of a hamburger and the three body paragraphs served as the hamburger patty and toppings (i.e. tomatoes, lettuce, etc.). She referred to it as "hamburger style" for the entire school year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not yet sold on being done with 5 paragraph essays. So far both of my essay's have been 5 paragraphs, and classicaly, i just make each of 5 paragraphs as long as neccesary to fullfill the requirements of each essay. Plus, referring to itt as "hamburger" style makes me like it even more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya, I'm going to definetly have to work on not doing the basic 5 paragraph essays and realizing that rules can be broken. It is just hard to have this freedom in writing when I have been following strict guidelines throughout Middle School and High School.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hamburger style?! I have never heard of that til now. Reading what you commented, my essays have been "Hamburger Style" for my entire high school years until my senior year when we were introduced to Research Papers. After that, the 5 paragraph, or "Hamburger Style" essay has been baby work. I am not looking forward to writing so much! D:<

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I've ever heard of the hamburger style? But everything you said, I definitely agree with. Writing essays the way that I learned from boot camp is going to be a lot more complex from what I'm used to and seems like it may be a little more difficult to create an essay with all of these expectations but hopefully I'll get the hang of it and it won't be so hard after all.

    ReplyDelete